Urban Wars
March 18, 2024, 11:55:17 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome, here you will find all the information on Urban Wars

Home Help Search Staff List Login Register  

Good mapping tips

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Good mapping tips  (Read 171 times)
Mexicouger
Lieutenant

View Profile
« on: May 06, 2010, 04:28:08 pm »

I thought I was a great mapper about 2 months ago. I thought I had learned all that needs to be learned. In reality, the only thing I truly learned was how to add more detail and to use entities better. I now learned even more on mapping. I learned about bringing up framerate. One thing I never done and wish I would have done, was full vis all my maps. Doing vis on normal can really bring the framerate up in some maps. Vis basically splits the map into sections, based on brush placing. So a small room can be a section in itself. It makes the game render that room instead of the whole map, which brings framerate up. Another thing to do is eliminate brush fragments. If a brush touches another brush, it fragments that brush on the corners. Thus, creating more brushes. So, either put a little space between the brushes, or put a func_wall between them. This is a must when using cylinders that may have many faces. Entites don`t frament brushes. This is a few tips in which all mappers should follow.
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Get your own Chat Box! Go Large!
Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum